M:ST is always expanding, and it wouldn’t be a success without our amazing volunteers! M:ST is constantly seeking those interested in lending a helping hand at M:ST performances, exhibitions, and fundraisers. Volunteer positions include bartending, event set-up and strike, and special projects assistance, as well as board membership. To inquire about current volunteer opportunities, applying to become a board member, or to be placed on our volunteer queue, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘M:ST Volunteering’.
M:ST accepts proposals for consideration on an ongoing basis. We accept submissions of embodied artworks in any discipline, including performance, writing, video, installations, exhibitions, residencies, workshops, and discussions. M:ST is a space-less organization, as such we encourage submissions that are site-specific. We work with our partner organizations to fulfill the needs of a multiplicity of projects, whether they are in public space, theatres, back alleys, galleries, rivers, or community centres. Please review our mandate before submitting.
Proposals are selected through a peer review process, completed up to six times annually by the Artistic Director and M:ST Programming Committee. The Committee consists of local artists, writers, and curators who have extensive visual, performance, and media art backgrounds. Proposals will be selected based on consideration of the following criteria: artistic merit of the proposed project, fit with the M:ST mandate, feasibility of the proposed budget, and the ability of M:ST and its member organizations to provide appropriate support for the project.
Proposal (max.1page): Clearly describe the proposed project and how it intersects with your artistic practice.
Technical requirements (max. 1 page): Provide details about your material and spatial requirements, including equipment needs. Explain what kind of venue is best suited to your proposed work (gallery, theatre, off-site, public space, etc.)
Curriculum Vitae (max. of 3 pages): Include accurate contact information and describe your artistic background.
Budget: Provide a detailed budget that lists the costs involved in presenting the project. Budget lines may include travel, accommodation, artist fees, honorariums, material and production costs, equipment rentals, shipping expenses, etc.
All written support should be sent as a single PDF document.
Maximum 15 numbered digital images. Images should be .jpeg files, 1024 pixels on longest side, 72 dpi, and no larger than 1MB per file.
Maximum 2 video or audio files: Maximum 10 minutes in length. Links to video hosting websites, such as Vimeo or Dropbox are accepted.
Corresponding Documentation List with image credit, title, date, medium, length, and dimensions (if applicable).
You may also submit up to 2 other items of relevant support material (i.e. diagrams, articles, reviews, press clippings).
Applications are accepted by email to email@example.com with the subject line ATTN: PROPOSAL.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Deadline: Ongoing. Submissions will be accepted until we run out of available funding for the project or until the Canadian border opens to international travelers and the M:ST 10 Biennial’s international residency exchange program resumes.
Preamble: This project has been (quickly) created in response to the impact that our community members are experiencing worldwide due to pandemic related restrictions on movement, social distancing, project cancellations, and layoffs. COVID-19 has affected people in ways that are impossible to describe here, and this project’s capacity to support artists is far from exhaustive. Our goal is to democratize the capacity to work from home by creating and disseminating a performative platform that can be engaged with from home.
Local and global artists are invited to submit proposals for performative works to be presented online via YouTube Live. Performances should occur in the artist’s home or place of residence with readily accessible materials. Performers must be able to supply their own computer with video streaming capabilities. Streaming dates and times will be organized between M:ST and the artist and advertised through M:ST’s networks.
Support provided by M:ST:
• Once your proposal is accepted M:ST staff will be available to chat via phone, e-mail, Messenger, or Whatsapp to help discuss and facilitate your project from a distance.
• Dissemination: Streaming dates and times will be organized between M:ST and the artist and advertised through M:ST’s networks. The performance will stream on our website and on YouTube. We will provide you with the login information and instructions needed to access the YouTube Live interface.
• Renumeration: Accepted artists will receive a $300.00 CAD fee - for anyone, anywhere in the world - delivered by M:ST via cheque, etransfer, or Western Union transfer.
• Note: We know this is not CARFAC standard, and we do not wish to take advantage of artists in a time of crisis. However, we do want to financially support as many people as possible in this moment. Currently M:ST has the funds available to support 10 performances. If, after 10 performances, the situation remains unchanged we will reevaluate our budget and capacity to help, perhaps continuing the program or changing course.
• Budget: M:ST cannot provide a production budget. No costs associated with the performance will be reimbursed.
How to submit your proposal:
Applications will be accepted by email only, and written components may be sent as inline text, PDF, or a Word or Pages document. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line: “ATTN: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS”.
What to include in the proposal package:
1. Proposal (up to 250 words): Clearly describe the performance, including duration (can be as long or as short as you like), and title (if any). Provide details about how it will be accomplished where you live and any sketches or diagrams if necessary.
2. Biography (up to 250 words): Include your contact information and website, Instagram, etc.
3. 3-5 digital images of previous and related work
4. 1-2 video files of previous and related work. Links to video hosting websites, such as Vimeo, YouTube, or Dropbox are welcome.
5. Optional: Artist statement (up to 250 words)
As this is a time sensitive project the review procedure will be as quick and simple as possible. Proposals will be selected by M:ST’s Staff, with members of the Board of Director’s asked to provide additional review support on a case-by-case basis. Submissions must be realistic, we must understand that you can pull off the performance where you live.